MarketingWorks breaks down the complete process of work winning into inter-connected stages and identifies opportunities for improvements in each stage that beneficially impact the process as a whole.
The Situation: Kier London envisage a new approach to work winning
Kier London, part of Kier Group plc (a leading construction services and property group) has grown to be-come one of the region’s most recognisable brands for the built environment, providing innovative con-struction contracting. The Director of Pre-Construction for Kier London initiated the development and im-plementation of a proactive approach to work winning and consolidated various work winning approaches into one aligned process. The pre-construction team embraced the new approach and were able to manage resources more effectively and also to improve win rates.
The Challenge: to enhance and embed the new approach
Having established the basis of the new approach, the challenge was to gain widespread adoption of more desirable and consistent behaviours across all departments and individuals involved in winning work, includ-ing those involved in regional delivery.
At this stage, Kier London approached Winningbusiness.solutions, a leading work winning construction in-dustry management consultancy, to identify and consolidate any further improvements in the process and to help Kier to then embed the changes. Winningbusiness.solutions was selected for several reasons:
- 25 years of work winning experience and insight within the Construction Sector
- Experts in implementing win work change, delivering bespoke business development and bid man-agement solutions that fit business needs
- Provided evidence of similar contractor clients who had undergone Winningbusiness.solutions’ change programmes with significant improvements in efficiencies as well as demonstrably uplifted win rates.
- Kier expected the following specific outcomes to be achieved:
- Development of an effective and efficient win work process, fully aligned and owned by all pre-construction and construction teams
- Enhancement of pre-construction and contract management win work skills capability and client-centric thinking
- Closer engagement of leadership in developing bid strategies and win themes
Our bespoke solution: to identify improvements and embed new processes, tools and behaviours
Winningbusiness.solutions prepared a prioritised programme of activity for Kier based on the Winningbusi-ness.solutions approach:
deploy and implement
support and monitor
- Show & Tell
- Internal survey
- Review of existing processes
- Adjust existing processes and governance
- Develop/adjust existing tools and checklists
- Facilitated Events and Workshops to refresh and revitalise skills and introduce enhanced processes
- Embeded new processes through mentoring and coaching and Red Team Reviews